Join UsNational Trails Day
Join us June 1, 2019
Join BSCO on June 1st, 2019 for a fun day of trail building and maintenance projects to improve the community trail system in celebration of National Trails Day and #NationalTrailsDay. Together, along with the rest of the nation we will improve 2,802 miles of trails – the distance across the US.
Every first Saturday in June, communities across the country participate in American Hiking Society’s National Trails Day by supporting the volunteer efforts of local trail organizations. The Big Sky Community Organization is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit entity that has built and manages more than 19 miles of public trails in Big Sky. Trails Day is a great way for the community to join together in an effort to enhance and preserve the local trail system, #bscotrails.
Volunteers will meet at the Big Sky Community Park, located at 25 Seeway Road at 8:30 am to join a variety of trail projects to suit all ages and abilities. After a fun day on the trails, volunteers will meet back at the river pavilion by 12:00 pm for a BBQ lunch. The event is free and open to the public. Volunteers should bring gloves, sunscreen, water bottles, and trail friendly footwear and clothing. Some tools are provided but additional shovels, rakes, and wheelbarrows are welcome.
- 8:30 am – Volunteer Registration
- 9:00 am – Orientation
- 9:15 am – Trail Projects Begin
- 12:00 pm – Volunteer BBQ
Register in advance below and sign our wavier. For more information, call 406-993-2112.
This Years Projects Include:
– Green Circles –
- Crail Trail – Fix Erosion areas near Spanish Peaks Condos and intersection. Add surfacing and rake out. Fix bridge.
- Ousel Trail – Walk Ousel Falls Trail and clean drains.
- Hummucks/Uplands – Walk trails and clean out drains.
– Blue Squares –
- Uplands – Fix erosion spot on uplands. Re-tred portions of the trail.
- Ousel Road Trail – create trail access near the flashers for the Firelights.
- Ousel Falls Trail – cut back vegetation, down to the first switch back. Re-claim trail.
– Black Diamond –
- Ousel Falls Trail – Move gravel from first switch back, re-apply to other portions of trail.
- Little Willow Way – Add the rest of the gravel to turnpike on near end of trail.
Please come prepared to get dirty and bring clothes appropriate for the weather.